Monday Free Write

If I actually titled my free writes I would call this one Mike's Master Class On Using A Drill.

Yup that's right. I finally decided to learn to use a drill. And Mike was more than happy to show and tell me everything he knows. (Even if I didn't need to know that much!)

So here's basically how it went.

(And yes we went outside because Lion was sleeping and because that's just where we ended up).

So lesson 1 was that the two stands make up a horse. He had to clarify that it was not a horse you ride on (and I added not a pommel horse to do gymnastics on either! He didn't think that was funny or he just wasn't paying attention. So I let him know I knew what I saw horse was!)

Next he put up a spare piece of wood to show how to do some test holes in. And really there is nothing to drilling a hole. All you have to do is pick the right size bit for your hole, pick the right speed (the higher the speed the faster it routes, so slower speeds are used as to not strip screws), and make sure your drill is set to drill in and not out.


Yup that's it. Okay the last part, is to not be afraid of the drill. 

So after he went over those quick steps he proceeded to use his drill. And he explained the differences between the bigger one and the smaller one. I think it has something to do with power, but I'm not sure. I stopped paying attention at that point.

And for no reason, he put on a drill bit that's made to go through metal and started using it to drill holes in the wood. (which is what he used to make the hole for my jelly jar lotion dispenser.)

So once he was done (and he found the closest size bit to the size hole I needed. Apparently 13/16th is a weird size bit to own?), it was finally my turn to use everything I learned. 


And it could not have been easier. All I had to do was line the drill bit up with where I marked the holes to go and apply a little pressure. And voila! within 5 minutes I had drilled all the air hows I needed for my compost pile!

(And no the saw horse wasn't necessary for my project, but I found it was easier to drill standing up than drilling hunched over!) 

 And once I was finished, Blue was more than willing to help me start filling the compost pile.


Or Koko's nest as he calls it. 

(He seems to think we were making a home for one of our cats. I'm not sure why though...)

Comments