Jazzing up my Coffee Mug

So the other day I was searching my Pinterest boards for inspiration to fill out my November project list and I rediscovered a pin to create a glitter dip coffee mug. And I knew that it would be a great way to start November.

(And a great way to transform an old mug I have!)

The Project

Glitter Dipped Coffee Mug

Instructions from White House Black Shutters


Results

To be fair, I didn't read the instructions all the way before I started thinking about this project. I just simply looked up decoupage and realized I could just use my homemade mod podge and acrylic sealer. And after I started I look to see that Anne Marie from White House Black Shutters, used dishwasher safe decoupage. But I figured I'd be all right, since we don't have a dishwasher and I have to hand wash my dishes.

So here's the mug I started with:



(You can find the mug at Amazon here)



So to begin with I had to clean my mug and I scrapped off the one side in which 'Best Mom Ever' was starting to fade. (A simple quick scrub with a scouring pad and it was mostly gone. When it hits the light just right you can still see where the letters were.) And then I just an alcohol pad to clean the outside, taped off what I didn't want glittered. (I went with about half the mug covered and half not.)



And then I said a quick prayer for the craft gods that I wouldn't mess it up and started glittering it.




And because I didn't read I left the painters tape on it while I let it dry. Which turned out to be a good thing because once I checked it, I realized that the first layer of glitter wasn't going to be enough. So I added another layer of glitter



And then I let it dry again before I finally realized I was supposed to pull the tape of right away. Luckily no harm was done. 


So I pulled off the tape, brushed the glitter off and began to seal it. I went with one layer of modpodge and then two layers of acrylic sealer.

And since the instructions say to let it cure for 7 days, I haven't gotten to use it yet.


But Blue has already become obsessed with it! He really likes the glitter, that he calls sprinkles.


And here's a clear view of the mug.


And I'll update once I use and wash it. I wouldn't run this version through the dishwasher though. (even after the 28 days). I'm not sure the glue will hold up even with the acrylic sealer.

(as links are affiliated. So if you like it please buy it to support the blog!)

Comments