Activity Book: Combining Pages

So I've made it about halfway through my activity book. And I seem to have lost my drive to continue working on it. Its frustraing and I really want to continue through the other half, but I'm just at a crafter's block. (Like a writer's block only for crafters? I may have just made that up, but I assure you its different than my project add I have. I want to work on pages, I just can't seem to work out how any of them will work out, yet.)

So I thought instead of forcing some half assed page in to the book this week, I would take a brief break and start putting my pages together.

So here we go

The Project

Putting Activity Book Pages Together

Here's What You Need

  • Scissors
  • Needle and Thread
  • Filling
  • Straight Pins

Here's How You Do It

Step 1: Prep Work

For my filling, I decided to use post office boxes. (I originally wanted to use cereal boxes, but I found they were a little too flimsy and I wanted something stiffer. You could also use a Pellon fabric, if you are familiar with them all and know which one to pick.)

Since my felt pages should all measure 9x9 inches, I decided to measure out my cardboard inserts to 8x8 inches squares. 



And obviously I cut out the squares once I measure them.


I found the medium flat rate boxes work the best. After you unfold it you can get two inserts per side, so that's 8 per box. So you should only need two boxes to complete the book (and have some left over!)

Step 2: Sewing Pages Together

A while back I made a list of pages I've made and need to make. It helps me track my progress and makes sure that I don't remake any letters.



I also made the list in two columns so I could easily know which pages get stuck together.

So after consulting the list, I pinned the pages I had together which so far made for 5 pairs and the three that still need one. 

And then I tried using my sewing machine to stitch along the outside, but some of my pages, took up too much space on the edge, that I just found it easier to hand stitch along the outside.



Step 3: Putting It Together

Once I sewed up three sides of my pages, I slide the insert in


And then sewed the last side together.


Here's How They Book Looks So Far



I just love that it actually looks like a book now!

Comments