DIY Bathroom Charging Pocket

My favorite part about doing this blog, is now when I come across a problem in my life, I not only can find the a solution for them, but I can also share the results with all of you.

Case in point is how I charge things in my bathroom. I normally charge my smaller electronics (my fitbit, wireless headphone, shower speaker, etc) in my bathroom. The only problem is the that the cords hang at weird lengths and none of my electronics can charge and rest on my counter. And often time I just end up drapping my headphones or fitbit over the plug.


This causes the plug to not sit flat in the outlet and sometimes the headphones or fitbit don't charge. Which is completely frustrating.

So one day while I was scrolling through Facebook, I came across a video creating a charging pocket out of an empty bottle. And I've finally found the perfect bottle to test it out with!

The Project

Create a Charging Holder In My Bathroom

Inspiration from Buzzfeed

Results

To be fair I saved this project for things I like to charge in my bathroom (Fitbit, wireless headphones, shower speaker, etc) and not for my phone, so I used an empty Johnsons Baby Wash bottle instead of a empty lotion bottle.

So first things first, after I ripped the labels off I used my homemade goo gone to get all the leftover glue off. (And this was the perfect project to try out the goo gone on. All it needed was a little goo gone and a little rubbing with a damp towel and the leftover glue was gone.)


Since I had no phone to measure how deep to make my pocket, so tried to make the pocket about 1/2 to 3/4's of my bottle.



And then I used scissors instead of an exacto knife to cut out my pocket and the cut out for the plug. An exacto knife would have worked better and been more precise, but the scissors worked well and I just sanded down any of the super uneven spots.


Once I was happy with my pocket I tested it out in my plug. The top was a little high and kept knocking off my night light. So I trimmed it down a little bit.


Which work out fine until I realized it worked better if had the cord coming out the top instead of going right into the pocket. So I can't use the pocket and the nightlight at the same time. 

Anyway here's how it works while charging my wireless headphone (left) and my Fitibit (right)


 And so far so good. It effectively holds my electronics while they are charging.

A perfect solution to an unfortunate problem.

Now I just need to paint it!





Comments