The whole Galaxy in on Bottle

Recently Blue has become fascinated with the moon. So every night he, after we put Lion to bed, we take him out and let him see the moon.


He often comments on how how the moon is and that he needs a rocket ship so he can get up there. And he also loves looking at the stars.

And as hard as it is to get him back in the house and settled in for bed afterwards, I love every minute of it. And I want encourage his new found love of space. So I was very pleased when I stumbled upon sensory bottles, that are supposed to simulate the night sky. I just thought it was perfect and a great way to look at space, even when its the middle of the day.

So here we go with my first attempt at a sensory bottle!

The Project

Make a Galaxy Bottle

Instructions from One Little Project


Results

So to start I used a 10 oz bottle and used my homemade goo gone to get the stickiness from the label off, (It was leftover from a Ocean Spray six pack) and used Johnson's Baby Oil with Aloe and Vitamin E

So I set up my bottle with baby oil and glitter.


And I think I added a little too much oil, its a little over  but I decided to just keep moving on. Next step is to mix food coloring and water. I just used red and blue food dye to create an inky purple color. Once I had the perfect color I mixed it all together and waited for the magic to happen.

And then nothing happened like I thought. It just swirled a little bit and then quickly settled back together. I'm not sure it it was the size of the bottle or the baby oil, but something definitely didn't go right.


It didn't seem to bother Lion though. He likes shaking it and watching the glitter.


And trying whatever he can to get into it.

And as for Blue, he only likes it for a couple of seconds and then moves on to the next thing that catches his eyes.

So while its not a complete success, its not a complete failure. (And I think if I switch out the baby oil for vegetable oil, it might work better. So look forward to a part 2!)



Comments