My First Attempts at Mug Cozies!

(I really hate intros, so I'm going to keep this nice and short today.)

I'm back again with another crochet project. I'd be lying if I didn't say the main reason I picked up crocheting wasn't to learn how to make some coffee cozies. (If you search Pinterest alone, the results are endless. I'd hate to see how many there are on etsy!). So that is exactly what I learned to crochet this month.

The Project

Make a Coffee Mug Cozy


Results

I once again am still using my basic yarn, which is probably not the right yarn for the project, but its good enough for beginner projects. (Its a little too stretchy to be a good yarn for a coffee cozy. Or at least, I think a stiffer yarn would work better).

And I the pattern I went with worked well with mugs of all sizes. My current mug obsession is the Starbucks You Are Here Disney World Collection. (My mom and I finally got out Magic Kingdom mugs on Sunday, to complete our Disney World four. Now I guess we have to go to Disneyland, to get those two!). So these mugs are a little wider than a standard mug. But the pattern a lots for various mugs sizes and (thankfully) doesn't give a gauge so you can make it as big (or small) as you need it to be.

And the real reason I started with this mug cozy pattern, is because its perfect for beginners. All you need to know is how to chain stitch, single crochet and double crochet. Easy Peasy Lemon squeezy.
(And no that's not bullet coffee. Mike used all my butter without telling me, so I had to improvise. Thank goodness we had some milk and sugar lying around)

As you can see, I think it turned out all right. I made the black one a little too big. So when I was making the grey one, I started with a smaller gauge.


I just love the way the compliment each other. That maybe the one upside to my yarn, At least it comes in matching pairs! So you can create lovely little pairs with it.


And that's my mug tree, with most of my mugs out for wash right now. I guess I'll go get on that! (And then I guess I'll make a couple more mug cozies for the other two mugs!)


Comments