3 Ways to Make Baby Cereal Pancakes

Its so slow at work, that I often find myself searching Pinterest for new project ideas. Unfortunately most of my feed is just a repeat of the same projects from different bloggers. So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a recipe for baby cereal pancakes. I had never even thought it was possible. And I knew that this would be the perfect idea to try for my babies.

And after searching Pinterest for more baby cereal food ideas, I found more recipes for pancakes. So I decided that instead of following just one recipe to make pancakes, I would try three of the most popular recipes.


The Project



Try Out Baby Cereal Pancakes

For all of these recipes I used:
Whole Wheat Flour
Coconut Oil for butter or oil
Mainly Rice Cereal when baby cereal is mentioned

Recipe #1

Recipe from this picture

(I'm not sure where this originated from, but this was what I followed to make my first batch)

I thought it was best if I started with the relatively plain pancakes first; the recipe is the easiest and I thought it would be a good way for me to figure out the best way to cook all of the pancakes.

The ingredients actually combined easily together and effortlessly turned into pancake batter. And I really love the idea of using a tablespoon of batter for the pancakes. I found that size pancake was the perfect size for Lion and also for Blue.

However, we don't own a griddle, so I had to make due with a small frying pan (and as you can see below I was able to fit three pancakes in it at one time)


And okay I'll admit it, I didn't have the patience to cook them on a medium low setting. Instead I cooked them on a medium, medium high setting. (They just weren't cooking on the medium low setting!). And either since I cooked them on a higher temperature or since I cooked them in a frying pan, the ended up a little soft in the middle...

But Lion enjoyed them...

(I know that face says otherwise, but he did eat a whole lot of them!)

And Blue was so excited that he stole the entire plate and tried to eat them all...



Naturally I stole the plate away and placed the remaining pancakes into a ziplock bag and stored them in the refrigerator. (The pancakes were quickly eaten the next morning for breakfast! Hey I'm raising two growing boys. Even at this young age, they eat a lot!) 

Recipe#2
recipe from Cooking With Serena

After the success for the first plain baby cereal pancakes, I was excited to try the next batch. And well since Mike was home, I decided to try the most complicated (well out of the three I tried) pancake recipe. 

Making the batter wasn't hard, but the sheer amount of ingredients was a little overwhelming, but I pushed through and steadily mixed them altogether. I used cranberry juice for the cup of juice (its our juice of choice here) and it turned the turned the batter a slightly purple color. I wasn't quite sure how much a cap full of vanilla was, so I just used a teaspoon instead. And I think I added 1 cup of water to make it into a pancake batter consistency.

Once again I used my tablespoon to dish out the batter into my small frying pan.


I was able to fit three pancakes into the frying pan, but I found with the baking powder I had to separate them a little bit more so they didn't merge together while cooking.

And well Lion was so excited to eat them, he ponied on over to get a slightly cooled down one while I was still cooking them.


(Blue enjoyed them too, I just don't have a picture of it)

Once again I took the left overs into ziplock bags and put them into the refrigerator. Which they kept all right. And the boys made quick work of the leftovers. So I'm not sure if the pancakes freeze well or how long you can keep them in the refrigerator.

Recipe #3

recipe from Wholesome Baby Food

Out of all the recipes I found, this one was my favorite. And I after the success of the last two I was so excited to try it out.

As with all the recipes, combining all the ingredients and making a batter was fairly easy. I wasn't sure how much a 1/2 cup of mashed banana was, so I just used one that was slightly over ripe. And a 1/2 cup of cranberry juice was in fact the perfect amount to turn it all into a good pancake batter consistency.

This is where everything fell apart for me. Somehow my small frying pan go buried at the bottom of the dirty dishes pile (I didn't find it until I was done!), so I had to settle for the larger frying pan. Which was fine I was able to fit four pancakes in there at one time.

However, I'm not sure it was the pan or the recipe, I could not figure to the best temperature to cook them at (other than the lower the temperature the better for the pancakes, but then they take forever to cook!)

I guess I only burnt a couple of them.


And they did turn out nicely for the picture!


Blue heard banana and he was quick to grab one (even as I was telling him how hot they were)

I know the recipe says these pancakes freeze well, but as you read above I'm not really into freezing pancakes. Instead I like to refrigerate them in a sandwich bag. And well I'm not sure if its because I didn't cook them all the way through or if this is just how the recipe is, but these pancakes didn't refrigerate well. I was able to pull maybe one or two pancakes out and then rest just mushed together.

Overall I think it was a little disappointing.

Conclusion

Overall, if you have extra baby cereal and want to make pancakes with it. I would highly recommend recipe #1. Its simple and easy to follow and most importantly I think it made the best pancakes. Sure the pancakes maybe a little plain, but if you just add a little fruit puree (or baby food), it will easily make it into a fun meal!

Comments

  1. Buy Ellas Kitchen Baby Cereal Online
    Ellas Kitchen Baby Cereals are a great choice for parents who are looking for a healthy and nutritious cereal for their baby. The cereals are made with organic ingredients and are free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. They are also fortified with essential vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium, and vitamins A, C, and D.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment