A few quick T-Shirt Hacks

I know, I know. How many more t-shirt upcycles can I possibly find? Apparently the amount is endless. (As is my t-shirt supply right now and we haven't even gotten into my 16 orange shirts that I have somewhere from college!)

But for this week I decided that instead of transforming the t-shirt into a new item, that I would try to keep the t-shirt as a shirt only a better, more useful version of it.

So below I tried out three different hacks that are supposed to be easy and transform the shirt as well. 

The Project


Try out a couple t-shirt hacks


Results

T-shirt Hack #1: Turn Your T-Shirt into a Work Out Tank

Instructions from Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth

If you are looking for an easy way to make over your t-shirt, then this is the hack for you. 

Unfortunately there are no words with the tutorial, so I just kind of winged it when it came to making my work out tank.


I decided that I wanted to make it have a low cut back. (you can see if marked out above), and for the front I just cut out the v-neck collar.


Finally to create the racer back look, I used the cut out collar piece and wrapped it around roughly where I thought my shoulder blades would hit.


I think it it turned out nicely and I can't wait to try it out (once this hurricane finally leaves!)

All right Hurricane Hermine is finally gone, so I took it for a test run today!



And its so much better than running in a t-shirt! The open back allows for a lot of air to get in and that helps keep me cool (especially in the hot Florida forever long summer!).

But I recommend turning any shirt into a work out tank for however you want to work out.

T-Shirt Hack #2: Turn Your Shirt into A Tank

instructions from Pretty Designs

This one once again only has a picture tutorial. (Which thankfully is very detailed!)

For this makeover, I started with a shirt that I had already cut off the sleeves. (I had planned to turn it into a laundry bag, but that never came to fruition)

.
So to get it the right shape I cut straight across the top about an inch above the highest point in the design and then I just cut the hem out of my shirt. (Clearly this was not made for a shirt with such a large design but I made it work)



And then I sewed around the bottom of the shirt to create a new hem. And I folded down the top of the shirt about an inch  and created a little pocket along the front and back. And since I only cut off the hem of my shirt that was all I had to make the straps for the shirt.  (I got a little worried it wouldn't be long enough, but it actually fits just fine)

The hardest part I think was figuring out to get the strap into the pocket. So I simply tied a lose knot into my strap and used a crochet hook to pull it through both sides.


I really like how it turned out and I think I might actually wear it more often now!

T-Shirt Hack #3: Add Some Style to Your T-Shirt

Instructions from The Skinny Fat Girl Diary

All right so we hacked one t-shirt for function and one for style. For this third (and final!) hack I wanted to see if I could combine the two.

I, for the record, am a huge buckeye fan and I knew this t-shirt was going to be my gameday shirt for the year (you can find it and other Ohio State shirts from GV Artwork)



 Obviously the first thing I did was mark out where I was going to cut. (I don't like showing the back and sides of my bra so I kept the front kind of tight to the sides and the back fairly high.This could easily be adjusted for however you want to style your own shirt)



After that I took a deep breath and cut out. (I was so terribly worried I was going to ruin it that I almost didn't do this one at all!)

When it came to cutting the strips for the braid, I cut them to about the point where the fabric started to curve out. 


I wish in the tutorial they mentioned that after you cut your strips for the braid you have to stretch the fabric. Otherwise your braid will never be long enough to complete the look properly.



And that's the finished product! I love it and I can't wait to see what this season has in store!






Comments