Whipping Up Some Coconut Oil Shaving Cream

So as I mentioned on Thursday, I didn't want to just sell you coconut oil. I wanted to prove that coconut oil is a really useful product that you can use for almost anything. First up I stumbled up while trying to solve my razor burn problems. You see I've been using my soap pouch for about two months now (Mike on the other hand can't be bothered to even try it!) and I love using it. And I think it definitely saves my bar soap. 

However, since I've switched over I haven't be able to get a good lather on my legs, so that when I shave I end up with razor burn. (I stopped using shaving cream a while ago. I just found with the loufa and soap that it lathered my legs enough that I didn't need to spend money on shaving cream) I thought about going back to buying shaving cream, but I realized I had some coconut oil laying around. So I turned to Pinterest to see if there were any coconut oil shaving cream recipes. 

Project:


Try out Coconut Oil Shaving Cream


Results


Recipe #1 Coconut Vanilla Shave Cream

recipe from Midget Momma

(All right I was secretly excited to try this, so I would have an excuse to use my stand mixer. I've been so afraid I would break it that its sat around for a year and a half now. But now that I've used it, I just want to keep using it for everything!)


So when I made this my coconut oil was liquid and it didn't exactly cream up like it was supposed to (No matter how long I kept it mixing). But I still tried it and I loved how silky smooth it made my legs feel. (And smelling like vanilla didn't hurt!)

After a couple of uses I once again had trouble with razor burn. I think this has to do with that fact that my oil was liquid and hard to ensure I covered my legs completely. But instead of trying it again with solid coconut oil, I moved onto another version of coconut oil shaving cream.

Recipe #2 Coconut Oil Shave Scrub

recipe from Mother's Niche

By the time I finally got around to testing it, I moved my coconut oil to a cooler part of the house (and had used up most of the liquefied part), so when I started whipping it in the stand mixer it started to cream up immediately.


Blue by this time was no longer scared by the noise and had to come investigate.

The only downside to this recipe is that Mother's Niche doesn't actually give a proper recipe, all she says is to mix sugar and coconut oil. So I decided to use one cup white sugar with one cup coconut oil (for the second round I decided to half the sugar, but I think when I third round I plan to use 3/4 cup of sugar) And since I like the smell of vanilla I decided to throw a couple teaspoons in there.

I'm not sure if the sugar helps with the shaving or maybe the fact that I used solid coconut oil, but I like this version a lot more than the first. I found that I can get a really close shave without getting razor burn.

The only problem I have is that between my house and the hot water I use that I have to refrigerate and remix it once a week. Otherwise the coconut oil melts and separates from the sugar. And I just end up with a big mess on my hands. But I guess that's a small price to pay to know exactly what's going on your skin.

Conclusion


I clearly love using coconut oil shaving cream. So I wanted to share a few final thoughts for both.

 I found that the both of the versions lasted me about 2 -3 weeks (I only like shaving every couple days or so results may very). Which I think is comparable to store brand shaving cream (its been a long while since I bought any so I'm not sure how long a container will last).

(And as an added bonus I've rubbed some on my belly and it seems to have helped my stretch marks disappear.)
The only issue is that you have to rinse your razor off well otherwise the blades get clogged with oil and hair. 

Comments