Actitivy Book: D is For Days

All right its Friday so you know what that means, its time for the next page in the activity book. I know I keep teasing you about the kitchen page, but I keep putting it on hold because I can't quite figure out how to make it work.

So instead I created a page that's been floating around my head for a little while now. I just didn't know where I wanted to put it in the book. (Or if I had the patience to make it right!). But I figured it all out and I am proud to present:

D is for Days



Here's What You Need



Here's How You Make It:

Step 1: Laying It Out

(I know I'm queen of the blueprints for I didn't think this page called for one)

The first step is to decide how big to make your day tiles. (I went with 2x3 inch rectangles that way they would cover the background, but I could still add other parts to page as well)

Next step is to set up your background felt for the day tiles. Since my tiles are 2 inches wide and there are seven of them and my background felt is only 9 inches wide, I knew I needed to make two lines. So I decided to make a top row of four (my "spare day" line) and a bottom row of three (my "current days" line).

Here's what my background looks like:


As you can see above my bottom row I wrote out "yesterday", "today" and "tomorrow". That way as my kids grow they will have a new way to play with it.

(I also marked out the center of each rectangle so I knew where to sew down the stiff part of the Velcro at later.)

Step 2: Creating the Day Tiles

To create the day tiles I cut out seven rectangles out of white felt and also out of black felt. (That way they're double layered when completed). I then found the center of the black rectangle. And then sewed down the fuzzy side of the velcro there. (I also sewed down the stiff part of the velcro onto the background felt as well. This way I didn't have to pull out my sewing machine multiple times).

I then cut out 7 2x1 rectangles out of a rainbow variety of felt. (One color for each day). I then backstitched on the the names of the days on each little rectangle and then I used a blanket stitch to attach it to the top of my big rectangle.

To finish them up I cut out numbers (1-7) out of black felt and stitched one onto each day. (That way they'll learn in what order the days go in)

I then blanket stitched around the outside to seal them together.

Here's how they turned out:



Step 3: Finishing Touches

As always with my activity books finish off the page by cutting out a D out of some scrap fabric and stitch that down in the bottom lefthand corner. Then back stitch on the words 'is for Days'

And here's how mine turned out:


Comments