Monthly Upcycle Project: 3 Ways To Reuse Your Old Wash Cloths

And here we are at the end of another month. So its time for my monthly upcycle project. For this month's project, I wanted to see how many different ways I could upcycle wash cloths, And what I found was a lot more projects than I have time for. So I settled with three projects that I thought would be great upcycles and also replace some of our most used disposable household products.

(I used wash cloths because we have ton of them, but you could easily use hand towels or bath towels. You just need to cut them down to get the size you want.)

Project #1 Reusable Paper Towels

instructions from The Short Girl

I've actually been trying to switch out paper towels to wash cloths for a while now, but getting Mike on board has been a difficult task. So I was happy to find this project. But I knew I had to make a couple of changes. Since I already had a bunch of spare wash cloths, I decided that they would be fine of there own and didn't need a colored fabric on one side. So all I did was sew on snaps.



I then wrapped them around my paper towel holder like normal roll of paper towels. And have been using them for about a week now. And I love it, it really is like having reusable paper towels. (Because despite the paper towel commercials showing how to rinse them and use them again, I don't know anybody who actually does.)

And Mike liked the idea at first, but after a couple uses he didn't like have the snap. So I simple rolled the extras up and placed them in a basket for him.


(which is another easy way to use old wash clothes as paper towels)

Project #2 Reusable Dryer Sheets

instructions from Clarks Condensed

There are a couple of different ways to make your own dryer sheets. You can read how to do this with sponges from The WHOot. And you can also read about how clothes dry faster with a towel in the dryer from The Huffington Post.

I decided to do this wash clothes. And because my wash clothes are white, I decided to sew on fabric to the back. That way I would be able find it easily when doing a load of towels. And then I soaked them in liquid fabric softener. Let them dry outside for a couple days. (I love that Florida is still hot enough to do this!)



And I was able to fit four into a spare wipes container.

I've only used them on a couple times, but so far so good. The wash cloth may be a little too small to actually help dry my clothes faster, but it does leave them feeling soft and smelling good 

(I'll update later to see how loads I can use them for before I need to reapply more fabric softener)

Project #3 Soap Pouches

instructions from Whimsy Love

If you use bar soap (I do!), then this is the perfect solution to save your soap and replace buying a louffa altogether.. I love louffas but I don't like how easily they fall apart and I don't like how often you should replace them. (Again I don't know anybody who actually replaces there louffa as often as recommended). So I was really excited to find a project that would replace my need for a louffa.

Whimsy Love uses a towel to create a whole batch of soap pouches at a time. I found that I was able to make three soap pouches from one wash cloth. (One for me, one for Mike and one spare one). And even with my basic sewing skills I was able to make it easily.


By far the best part is that it actually saves your soap. I've been using my pouch for about two months now and I'm still on my first bar of soap. In fact I still have about half a bar left in there. (Or at least it feels like it). 

(All links are associated. Nobody paid me to write this either!)

Comments