Stand Mixer Bowl Covers

Its no secret that I love my Kitchen aid Stand Mixer. Now that I've started using it, I just can't stop. So while I perusing Pinterest for ideas one day, I stumbled across a project for making a stand mixer bowl cover. I instantly pinned it and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to make it. And I really thought this would be a useful project and something to help me with my sewing skills. And finally I knew there was no other project I wanted to do for this week.

The Project

Making a Mixer Bowl Cover

instructions from Laura's Craft Life


Results

I originally wanted my make my entire cover out of some left over red minky fabric I have laying around. But unfortunately I didn't have enough to cover the outside of the bowl, so I decided it might be nice to at add a pop of color to the inside. (I call this mistake number 1). And then for my outside fabric I decided to use up some left over fabric I used on the curtains. (I call this mistake number 2).

Okay so to create my double sided cover I made two circle patterns. One with the diameter of the mixing bowl and one with a diameter 3 inches bigger than the mixing bowl. (I used a compass and traced along an extra 1 1/2 inch along the entire outside)


And then I glued the wrong side of the little circle to the wrong side of the big circle. 

And I then thought I knew what the instructions were (mistake #3) so I pinned and sewed down the bigger circle to the smaller circle and pulled the elastic through. Needless to say I was a little confused why it didn't seem to take the shape it should and why it was still flat.

I then went back to the instructions and read how you should measure your elastic out around your bowl first and then put it into your cover. So I had to pull out the elastic, trim it down to size and then put it back in. 
This solved mistake number 3, but then alerted me to mistake number 2. After tearing the elastic out and putting it back in, some of the stitches go ripped out. And when I went to reinforce them, I realized the ends were starting to fray badly. The outdoor fabric I decided to use made some nice curtains, but its not really meant for sewing projects like this. So fabric selection is always super important. And for this you should probably just still with a cotton of flannel fabric.

Anyway it still turned out all right.


The main problem I have is that I made it super tight over the top of my mixing bowl. And with my stand mixer I should have left a little slack, so that there was room for the turner part.


But until I find the perfect fabric and remake it, it makes a great storage for all the different mixer parts.

Comments