Deep Cleaning Baby Jumper Polls and other hard to clean objects

My little Lion is a little over a year now, so I've decided now is the right time to stop procrastinating and start packing up all of the baby toys. Most of them are easy to clean and pack. And the fit nicely into boxes. And everything was going really nicely...

And then I stumbled upon our baby jumper. Its big and bulky and really a pain in the ass to take apart. And Mike at some point had moved it out on the patio, so by the time I got around to it, it was covered it dirt.

So while I was breaking it apart (and cleaning the metal and plastic parts as I was going along), I remembered reading about a way to deep clean the pack and play. And I thought that it would be a great way to clean the foam polls (that an otherwise quick wipe wouldn't clean). So I knew I had to try it out

The Project

Deep Cleaning Baby Toys (and other hard to clean items)

Instructions from I Heart My Kids

Results

Since I was just washing the foam polls around the top of the bouncer, I decided it would be better (and save water) if I just washed them in the kitchen sink. And since I was only using a little water, I adjusted my cleaning solution. I only used a little bit of laundry detergent. I only filled to the bottom line and poured that between both sinks and then I sprinkled in a little baking soda and a couple splashes of vinegar.


And then I let the foam covered polls soak. I think I sloshed them around after an hour to help get the solution depper and knock off an lose dirt. (I'm not actually sure it did anything though). And then I let it sit for another hour or two before taking them out.


And then I let them dry outside for a day or two. And once the polls were dry the polls seemed a lot brighter and I know they are now clean and ready to use for the next baby!

After having success with the baby jumper, I decided to try it out on my sanuks. I wear them all the time when running errands and I just never thought about cleaning them.

So after I finished with the foam polls, I realized that perhaps this was a great way to clean (an otherwise uncleanable object.) So I once again replicated I Heart My Kids's cleaning solution. Only since I needed enough to wash my straps, I used a drizzle of laundry detergent, a sprinkle of baking soda and tiny bit of vinegar.


And then I let them sit in there for a water for a  long while. (Okay so I forgot about them, while I was busying taking care of other things. I actually think it helped clean them better by leacing it it there longer_

And for proof that it really works that's what the water looked like after I took my shoes out. Completely filthy...


Okay that's also completely gross and I'm glad I decided to clean my shoes!

And now I'm on the hunt for more items to clean this way!

Comments