E is for Elephant

I always do such a long intro for my activity book pages, but I'm not really sure why. They all say about the same thing. Its Friday, its my new page and here's where I found my inspiration from (and why I still haven't gotten back to k is for kitchen). So for this week's page, I decided to just simplify it and just put everything listed below.

The Page

E is for Elephant

inspiration page


you can find it at The Quiet Book Blog

Here's What You Need

  • Assorted Felt Sheets
  • Needle and Embroidery Thread
  • Scissors
  • Pattern Paper (Or whatever scrap paper you have around)

Here's How You Do It

Step 1: Create the Elephant

If you can free hand an elephant, then go ahead and draw your own for your elephant. I cannot, so I had to turn to pinteret and search for coloring page elephants for my pattern. And after sorting through a lot of the coloring pages, I settled on this one:
(The website this from is currently unavailable, but here's the link if you want to check it out for yourself)

I just like that the trunk is pointed up so that I could easily attach balloon strings to it.

So I printed that elephant out and traced it onto grey felt and then sewed it down to my background felt.



Step 2: Making The Balloons

I decided to make my balloons into simple shapes instead of just regular balloons. I don't think I've mised in shapes yet, so I thought this owuld be a good place to start. So I cut two pieces of the following shapes, heart, rectangle, triangle, circle, and star


And then pinned them across the top of my page, to make sure that I had room for all of them and that it had a good flow to it.


As I was sewing the shape pieces together, Blue decided to put some purple "bandaids" on the elephant


I then traced the shapes with a marker, so that they would have a spot for Blue and Lyon to match them up to. And then I sewed a piece of yarn from the shape to the elephant's trunk. 

Step 3: Finishing Touches

As always I finished up my page by cutting out and sewing down a letter 'E' and then back stitched 'is for Elephant'

And here's how it turned out


(I'm not sure it was my most successful page, but I like it well enough for now)


Comments