Painting Pumpkins!

I realize its getting very close to the end of October, and as of now I have yet to mention anything about Halloween. Which makes sense, since I work on Disney property and they start celebrating Halloween by mid September, so by the time October comes around I'm over Halloween. That and for the past couple of years I haven't had Halloween off (or enough time to decorate for it either!).

But since Blue is getting older, I figured now would be the time to get over all my hang ups about Halloween and just start celebrating it. And since its my first real year of getting back into the swing of things I wanted to start small. So I got Blue and Lion some pumpkin candy buckets and also some small pumpkins. (Not big enough for carving, but big enough that they can play with them).

And that's when I thought of a great project idea (that would also be great for my little munchkins!)

The Project

Painting Pumpkins!

and trying to get into the Halloween Spirit!


Results

I love this project because all you need are pumpkins (any size or color you want) and any paint you want. I went with finger paint because I still have some left over from the birthday artwork we made in August

So to set up I placed out three small pumpkins (two starburst and one tiger stripe) on top of some news paper and poured some paint into an artist palette.


And then I let Blue and Lion paint


Which ended up with me helping Lion get paint onto a pumpkin and not all over himself and in his mouth!

Once they pumpkins were covered with paint. I set them aside to dry and then took Blue and Lion for a bath.


I made the polka dot one in the middle.

I let them dry over night and in the morning Lion and check out how they turned out.


Lion was thrilled with how they turned out. And Blue had so much fun painting them, that he wanted to continue painting today.

Eventually I convinced him they were perfect and we set off for the perfect place to set them outside. I wanted to put them under our big tree.


Blue thought they worked better in the front yard.


And really since they are tiny, there's no great place to display them. So next year even if I don't carve pumpkins with Blue, at least we'll have bigger pumpkins to paint!






Comments