S is for Spider

It's Friday, so you know what that means right? Its time for the next addition to the activity book! I once again tried to work out the kinks in k is for kitchen. But I still haven't figured it out. So luckily I stumbled upon this page:


I was drawn to the simplicity of the design and yet it would teach kids how tie things with string.

I definitely knew I needed a page like this in my activity book. So for this week I decided to go with the theme:

S is for Spider


Here's What You Need:

Here's What You Do:

Step 1: Make the Web

(This is really an optional step. I just didn't look back at the inspiration page before I started and thought there was a spider web background to build over)

To make your web first thing is to cut a piece of light brown (or white) felt to the size of your background felt. Next mark out a spider web making sure to cover almost all of your felt.

Next cut out your spider web. Arrange it over your background felt and sew down the outside ring. (You can sew it down all the way if you like; I just wanted to do the outside so I could loop the yarn through it later)

Mine ended up looking like this:


Step 2: Make The Spider

Making the spider is super easy. All you have to do is draw out an oval shape and then add four legs to both sides. And then you make eyes either out of white and black felt circles (or I made mine out of big white buttons and small black buttons)

Once your done making your spider sew it down in the middle of your web (or your background felt)


Next you just have to sew down buttons along the your web, (I went with bigger than the sample picture because they were the smallest I had and I think it makes it easier to wrap yarn about it). 

Finally start a piece of yarn from the back of you spider and you can either leave loose or hide it behind a button. 


Make sure that you have enough yarn to go around all the buttons, but not too much that you have a lot of excess.


Step 3: Finishing Touches

As always finish up your page by cutting out an S (out of some scrap fabric) and sew that down. And then embroider on the words 'is for spider)

Here's how my page turned out:


(I decided to do my embroidery with yarn and after I start I always remember why I swear I'm never going to do it again. So I highly recommend not using yarn for that part!)

Comments