Trying Out Some Dish Soap Silly Putty

There are so many kids crafts on Pinterest that I decided to tackle them head on in a new segment I like to call Kid Craft Fridays! 

And to kick off the segment I decided to go easy and try my hand at:

 Dish Soap Silly Putty

 I stumbled upon this project while I was researching play dough recipes and I just put it on the back burner. I didn't think it would work, but I wanted to try it anyways. So here we are with my attempts at making Dish Soap Silly Putty

The Project:

Dish Soap Silly Putty

 (instructions from One Little Project)

Experiment and Results


All right according to the instructions all you need is dish soap (I went with Ajax because we have a spare bottle hanging around and I like to use Dawn for my dishes) and corn starch.


Easy enough to find. And all you have to do is mix a little of both together and you should get silly putty.



After mixing them together (and adding a little more corn starch to make it more firm) I ended up with a goopy mess that didn't feel anything like real silly putty. So I decided to let it rest for a couple of hours to see if it would do anything. (It didn't and my corn starch only seemed to separate from the dish soap).

I quickly remixed them together and decided it was time to let Blue test it out.

Sure enough it all I ended up with was one big mess. (Thank God I stole our cutting boards for playmats!)


Conclusion:

I'm not sure this made anything close to silly putty. Or atleast when I tried it it didn't. I normally would say I want to try it again with Dawn, but I'm not sure that's the problem either. 
Although it does make a good soap mix and it might be good for cleaning dishes... I guess I'll let you know when I clean the cutting board.

Comments