Monday Free Write

Well I some how made it through two Monday Free Writes during the Olympics and somehow didn't write about them in either one. Which just seems completely odd to me. Its not like I wasn't glued to the tv watching them. (Even if I didn't like the sport being shown, it was at least a good background to work with.) So for today's free write I'm going to do a brief recap of my favorite parts of the Rio Olympics.

My favorite sport in the Olympics has got to be diving. I sometimes watch it with one eye open because I'm convinced that somebody is going to hit their head on the diving board again. (I blame it all on the Mario Lopez movie about Greg Louganis hitting hit head on the diving board). So there's that and then I just really like watching the Chinese dive. The Chinese are so amazing at it (they seem to twist around better and make as little splash as possible) and really should win all the gold medals, but the never can seem to get the clean sweep. And this years upset (if you can call it that), happened early during the Men's Synchro Springboard competition. (I believe it was the second competition they completed). So I was a little disappointed that it happened so early, but I thought another upset would happen as well and well that never happened.

By far the best part of diving was during the men's springboard semis when the reigning gold medalist belly flopped into the pool. You can see it for yourself here: Russian Belly Flop. I actually saw it at work and couldn't believe what I was seeing. And now every time I need a little pick me up I just watch it (and sometimes make Mike watch it too!)

My second favorite thing to watch in the Olympics is beach volleyball. I'm convinced if I travelled to Rio I would have spent most of my days (and nights) on Copacabana Beach watching it all unfold. I've actually been watching Misty May Trainer and Kerry Walsh Jennings since Athens, when they were unstoppable. (And yes I know now its April Ross now and Misty is up to something else (I mean three start gold medals, I'd be doing something else too!). And I just seem to gravitate towards it still. I like to say Mike and I fell in love watching beach volleyball in London. So being able to watch it unfold all over again in Rio is a special experience for me (and I would like to think for him too).

And yes I'm sad that they only won the bronze, but you know what? 4 Olympics later and Kerry on lost one match? Girl's still a beast and I wonder if she'll be back for Tokyo (I hope so!). If not I'm sure  Mike and I will at least be watching it. And rooting for whoever it is.

And yes Usain Bolt completed his triple-triple, Michael Phelps swam his way to more gold medals (and I kind of fell in love with little Boomer Phelps) and the women's gymnastic team truly were Golden. But I think for those folks, I want to see what they do next. (Especially Michael Phelps who struggled with his life between London and Rio, but he seems to be in a much better spot now and will handle retirement much better now!).

And my only lingering thought on the Rio Olympics is that it's been four years after the London Closing ceremonies and I still don't know why Girls Aloud didn't reunite to perform there.

All right that's it. I can't what for the PyeongChang winter games in 2018 and the Tokyo summer games in 2020.

(and I heard a rumor that Orlando might be putting their name down for consideration and well, I'm all for it. I would love to see the games on my home turf!)

Comments