Breakfast is Better with Waffles!

All right I'll admit it. I've been struggling to find my next cooking feat for about month now. I've tried looking up slow cooker recipes, but quite frankly its too hot in Florida right now to even think about using it. (Or maybe I just haven't found the right summertime recipe yet!)

And right when I was about to start scrambling for a recipe to try, my mother arrived with a mini waffle iron. I knew instantly that this was the answer I had been looking for and that it was high time I learned how to make waffles from scratch.

The Experiment


Learn to Make Waffles

recipe from the Dash instruction booklet
similar recipe from Mother Thyme

Results

All right before we even start going over the results, I want to confess that I've started adapting semi vegan cooking habits. So I use almond milk instead of cow's milk and coconut oil instead of butter. I also am trying to stop using white flour and try to use whole wheat flour instead. (I hope one day to switch over to almond or coconut flour one day, but we're not quite there yet). But I still use eggs (and I don't have any plans to change that in the future!)

All right so on with the waffle making!

Over all the ingredients mixed together very well (I had a couple of hard lumps of coconut oil, but they melt quickly enough in once in the waffle iron). But I've never really had a problem mixing ingredients together.


The next step was the hardest one for me: putting the batter onto the waffle iron.  I know what you're thinking 'how hard is it to pour batter onto a waffle iron?' And no that wasn't exactly the hard part. The hard part was figuring out how much batter onto the waffle iron without causing overage once I closed the iron, but making sure I put enough batter down that it spread across the iron completely. I'm not sure I ever quite figured it out either.


And then I had to wait for them to cook. One at a time and every time I had to guess when they were ready. I never quite achieved the perfect golden waffle color on any of them (I just kept getting impatient and worried that I was going to end burning them all.) So I learned patience is key when making waffles and the more patient you are the crispier your waffles will turn out.


In the end it didn't matter, Blue and Lion enjoyed the waffles slightly cooled down and also enjoyed the waffles completely cooled off. And I'm not really sure there is a better feeling than knowing my kids enjoy my cooking.

Comments