G is for Garden

So this week I had planned a different page for the activity book. And well I was starting it, I realized that I wasn't quite sure how to finish it quite yet. (I'm taking another two weeks to think on it!). So I had to switch gears in the middle and I decided now would be the perfect time for a page I've been dreaming about for a while now.

The inspiration was this page pictured below

(Photo Credit: Its The Small Things)

I love the idea of it. And it really might be a great way to get my boys excited about fruits and veggies (and eventually gardening, whenever we get to that point!).

So here we are with the next page in the activity book:

G is for Garden!


Here's what you need:

  • Felt (Large Blue square, brown rectangle and various colors to make plants)
  • Sewing Machine (or needle and thread)
  • Needle and Embroidery Thread
  • Scrap paper (for blueprints and patterns)
  • Scissors and markers

Here's How You Do It:


Step 1: Setting Up Your Garden

Before you even think about starting cutting out felt to make your garden, make a blueprint. This way you know how you want your garden set up before you start putting the felt together. 

(I would have saved myself a ton of time and redos if I had just made a blueprint first)

For my garden I knew I wanted to have a dirt patch for some carrots and potatoes. (and later I decided to place in lettuce and a flower in there as well). And I knew I wanted some vines for tomatoes. And I threw in some bushes for berries to round out my garden.

Once your blue print is complete, start putting your garden together by first sewing down your brown felt to your blue felt. Next create a stand for your tomatoes out of tan felt. Add some light green vines for you tomatoes to hang. Also create sign posts for your plants out of tan felt. 

Play around with the placements of your signs to figure out which way works best for you garden.

(I placed most of them on my dirt patch, but kept one behind some bushes. This way I had room for berries without blocking where I want to put my berries)

Optional Step: Cut out a G in felt and back stitch on 'is for Garden' to make sure you have room for it.


Step 2: Create your plants


Now that your garden is set up. It's time to add some plants to it!

The best place to start is at the top. Cut out some tomatoes and berries out of felt and sew down just one stitch near the top. This way the can wiggle a bit when your kid plays with it.

Next I made the carrots and potatoes. (I doubled up the amount I wanted and blanket stitched them with some ribbon in the middle to create a way to pull them out of their holes) And I also created holes in the brown felt so there would be some movement of pulling the vegetables in and out of the dirt.

Next I created a couple heads of lettuce by cutting up some green felt leafs and sticking them together. And I stitched down just the bottom, so I guess the boys could riffle through them if they wanted.

Finally I created a flower with a button center just because I didn't know what else to add. (And I think every garden needs a flower!)


Step 3 Finishing Touches

Finally back stitch on the plant names into the sign posts. 
(I figure its a good way to help get kids used to seeing words)

Here's The Finished Product:


Comments