Making Bubble Snakes

Summer here in Florida is still kicking (despite school aged kids returning to school this week), so this week I decided to try some more bubble fun. After last Tuesdays failure at making homemade bubbles, I decided to try something a little easier (and hopefully would have more success!). 

You know if you search bubble fun on Pinterest, a whole lot of ideas pop up. Starting with homemade bubbles recipes to tools to blow bubbles with to making giant bubbles. But the idea that caught my eye the most was making bubble snakes.

It looks so easy to make and the amount of bubbles made would be fun for Blue and Lion to play with. I knew that this was the best project to try next!


Experiment


Make Bubble Snakes

instructions from She Knows

Results

This project is fairly simple to put everything together. The hardest part is taking off the bottom of the bottle, which is easily solved by making your first cut with a razor blade and then using scissors to cut off the rest. Easy peasy.


And then I decided to skip securing my sock to the bottle (Blue lost the rubber band I was going to use and I couldn't be bothered to get a hair tie to use instead)

The part I worried about most was how much dish soap to use. No matter which version of the bubble snake instructions I looked at, they all just say mixed dish soap with water. So that's what I did. I mixed a little dish soap with a decent amount of water. (And I learned that you can't really go wrong with the amounts you use of both)

The only problem I had was I had to keep pulling up the sock, but I guess that's what you're supposed to secure it to the bottle

All right so we have our soapy water and our sock covered bottle. Let's see how these bubble snakes work!


It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. All you got to do is put the bottle to your mouth and blow. That's it. And depending on long you blow depends on how long your snake will be.


While I had no problem making the bubble snakes, Blue couldn't quite get the hang of it. I think because he kept getting distracted by the bubbles. (He loves bubbles!). 

Once I had successfully made a bubble snake, I wanted to try out making a rainbow bubble snake. (This is when things got messy).

All you need to make rainbow snakes is to add some food coloring to the end of your sock. I used the primary colors to see if I could create a snow cone effect.



And the first couple of times the color really showed in the bubbles, but after that you have to add more food coloring.

Also make sure if you add color to it that you do this outside. Blue and I started making bubble snakes in the kitchen and as the snakes dissolved into the floor, the left rainbow prints in their wake. (It was easy to clean up with a towel, so no harm done).

And most importantly if you add food color, make sure that you that you shake off the excess water well. Otherwise weird color water will slosh at your face (And I ended up with a food color mustache. Thankfully it too washed off easy.)

(And even the sock returned to white after a trip through the washing machine!)

Conclusion


Overall I loved making bubble snakes. Blue really enjoy have a whole stream of bubbles to attack at once. And despite getting lightheaded from blowing so many bubble snakes, I really enjoyed blowing them for him. It might also be a fun way to clean the house... but I guess I'll have to work on that idea later.

Comments