Seam Jack: The Tool You Didn't Know You Needed

All right its time for another Thursday Quick tip (or Thursday Quickies as I call them in my head!).



This time I'm talking about the Seam Jack (you can read all about it from She's a Sewing Machine Mechanic). Basically the idea is if you are sewing bulky seams you use a Seam Jack to lift the foot of your sewing machine and it will lessen the tension on your needle (and therefore you are less likely to snap a needle).

This has actually been a great tip find because while I was sewing up a couple of soap pouches, I ended up snapping a whole lot of needles. Unfortunately I couldn't find any at Joann Fabrics or Michael's (or even Amazon for that matter), so I ended up making my own out of a cereal box top:


It definitely lifts the seams. I haven't quite figured out how to use it while sewing (I think I need to go slower and readjust it as I work my way across the bulky soap pouch seams).



 But I know once I figure it out completely, it's definitely going to be a great tool to have (and definitely one everybody needs).

Comments