A Couple Of Updates For Your T-Shirt Shopping Bags

Way back at the end of June, I shared my monthly upcycle project of turning T-shirts into shopping bags. Well after having (and frequently using) mine for a little over a month now, I made a couple of updates.

T-Shirt Bag Update 1:

Produce Bags

(inspiration from Sewtorial)

All right I guess the are two ways at approaching a t-shirt produce bags. You can either flip your t-shirt around and cut off the sleeves in a circular shape and cut handles in the bottom (like seen in the link above).

Or I just used a couple of smaller t-shirts I had (I think they were size 3T shirts that I had used to dress up my stuffed tiger in college and Blue never wants to wear them. So I took them back and made something out of them).

I made mine completely different, but I think the result is very similar. I just cut them and sewed them together like I was making a larger t-shirt bag. And then I cut holes. I tried to keep my holes on the small side. (and I cut around the logo)


I couldn't be happier with the results!

T-Shirt Bag Update #2:

 Carry All Bag

This second bag was more of a necessity than an update. I love my t-shirt shopping bags, but for a while I would forget to through a couple into my bag before I left for the store (and then I would remember when I was either at the store or far enough away I wasn't going back for it). So I decided to take my favorite t-shirt bag and turn it into a carryall bag. This way I can use it store my t-shirt shopping bags in and when I need to make a store run, I can throw my wallet and stuff in there and use it as a purse.

(and before I start I want a disclaimer that I'm still working on my sewing skills and I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this way worked for me)

Anyway to make a carry all bag, I took three cut off shirt sleeves and cut each of them in half (and trimmed off some of the excess fabric). I then laid them out on top of my t-shirt bag so I could see where I wanted them.


Once I was happy with the placement I sewed down the sleeve closes to the top of my bag around the outside of the pocket and then sewed it down the middle. This was to create two smaller pockets (so I have somewhere to throw my keys, phone and whatever little stuff I like to carry with me).

For the other two pockets I just sewed them down around the outside of the pockets. (I wanted one for my wallet and one for my produce bags).

In the end I think I ended up with a really nice design and its fairly user friendly.


(I still have to figure out how to get my pockets from sagging so much, but I'm sure I'll find a solution eventually).

So there we have two updates to the t-shirt bags (that in my opinion were much needed). So get out there and start using them!

Comments