Mason Jar Coozy

I've spent the past couple of weeks at a loss of what to make for my monthly crochet project. I was going to make an infinity scarf, but I couldn't decide on a color or what kind of yarn I wanted. And I've looked at making glove, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to make a pair yet. I thought I finally had something when I discovered a crochet cat nest, but even after getting all of my grandmas extra yarn, I don't have the right size needed. 

So I just began searching Pinterest for any crochet project that I was interested in. That's when I discovered this:


The Project:

Crochet Can Cozy


Photo and instructions from With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart


I instantly knew, I could rework the project to fit over my mason jar cup.

Results

(All links are affiliated. So if you like it or need it please use the links provided. The blog gets little kickback if you do at no charge to you)

(For this project I used an Orange, Cream and Gray yarn and a size 4.5 crochet hook)

The first thing I had to do was figure out how to crochet a square. Luckily I knew my Reader's Digest Needlework Book had a tutorial on it. (Seriously that book has everything and you should totally own it!). It turns out crocheting a square is fairly easy. You just start out like you're making a circle only you leave chain stitches where you want your corners to be. 

To create my square I used a double crochet stitch and only had to make a couple of rounds before it was the size on the bottom of my mason jar. And apparently creating a little crochet bin is no problem. All you have to do is crochet into the back stitches.


The first time I started crocheting up the jar, I tried doing a double crochet, but I found that I didn't like the look of it and that it stretch out really easily. So I decided to pull it apart down to the square. And since I loved the ribbing effect (that I learned how to make during my cat hat project), I decided to try that with a half double crochet working up my jar.


The bad part about that is, that I had to flip my cozy as I was making it. (Which you really aren't supposed to do, but it was the only way I could get the ribbing to look right) So my seam is a little wonky down the side.



Here is how it turned out:



Overall though I love it. And I love that I'm no longer worried about the jar slipping out of my hands (again)! (And if does and the glass shatters at least it should be easier to pick up this time!)

And now I plan to try this on the various jars I have around the house!

Comments