The Great Gingerbread Adventure Part 2: Gingerbread Cookies

All right here we are with the second part to my gingerbread adventure. This time I'm talking all about gingerbread cookies!

All right I'll confess, I wasn't orginially going to make gingerbread cookies. I found the recipe for gingerbread spice and gingerbread pancakes, so I thought that would be enough. Then I thought again and realized gingerbread cookies are the most important gingerbread things to make. (Other than houses, I guess, but I'll save that for next year!). So here we go with my attempt to make ginger bread cookies!

The Recipe

Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies



Results

Before I even start, I would like to say: Check Your Recipe! I ended up making 3x times as many cookies as I was planning because I didn't check the recipe and I thought I knew what was needed! But that's life! Now on with the cookie making!

As always I followed my recipe (and then realized I tripled the amount of molasses, so I had to triple everything else).

Here is the obligatory picture of my kitchen aid stand mixer creaming the butter and brown sugar together.



(Afterwards is when I dumped in 3 times too much molasses and then decided to just continue on. And then I backtracked here and started the recipe over again; starting with creaming together 2x times as much brown sugar and butter. And if you really want your stand mixer to shake and groan, try mixing enough cookie dough for 6 dozen cookies in it. I made it a little more than halfway through and then decided it was better to just mix it by hand.)

Once I finally had the dough together, Blue decided to help me roll out the dough. I was more than happy to let him. I hate rolling out dough. It always turns into a mess and then I just get frustrated. 



Blue on the other hand, had a blast trying to roll it out. (Even though he didn't get it rolled out very much)

Next I let him use the Christmas cookie cutters.


I have three; a Snowman, a Christmas Tree and a Gingerbread Man. Blue made sure he used all three in his pile. (Well the best he could)


I then rerolled the dough for him and let him cut out a couple more shapes. And then we finally got to bake them!

Here is how they turned out (after we tasted a couple of them):


As for the rest of my six dozen cookies, I decided to skip the rolling the dough and using cookie cutters and instead just rolled it balls and then flattened them to cook.


Comments