Activity Book Cover

Some how November came and went and in the midst of writing about pumpkins, I forgot to plan out my next activity book page. So last night, while I was trying to sleep (and feeling all right about missing one Friday in December, since there are three of them I have activity books scheduled on), it finally hit me on how to make the cover pages. 

After all what is a book without a cover?

The Page

Front and Back Cover Pages

Great Instructions from Still Living


Here's What You Need

(All links are affiliated. So if you like something please buy it using the links below. I get a little kickback at no charge to you)
  • Cardboard (or Pellon fabric if you know which one to pick)
  • Thicker fabric (for the outside cover of your book)
  • Thinner fabric (for the inside cover)
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Spray Adhesive

Here's How You Do It

Step 1: Make The Cover


Since my pages are about 9x9 inches, I decided to make my cover 10x10 inches. After figuring this out was to measure out two 12x12 inch squares out of my outer fabric.


And naturally Lion was there to over see my progress.

I then cut out two 10 x 10 squares out of cardboard


And with Blue's help I used the spray adhesive to attach the cardboard to the fabric.


And then I carefully sprayed along the edges of the cardboard and folded the fabric over 3 sides of my cardboard. (I left one side open so when I attach the binding later, I have somewhere to put it)


And for the corners, I tucked in the fabric.


And then I hot glued the ends down.

While that was drying, I iron out my inside fabric. (Flannel wrinkles very easily!)


(Lion was once again there to help me!)

And once I had it smooth again, I cut out two 10.5 x 11 inch rectangles.


And I folded over one edge and used the spray adhesive to glue it into place. And then I used the spray adhesive  to secure the middle section down. And then folded over the edges and used hot glue to secure them into place. (I once again left one side open so I had somewhere to sew the pages onto)

Step 2: Sewing Pages In

(I highly recommend doll needles for this part. You need a long needle to sew these pages together.)

So first I attach my Letter A/Letter B page to the one of my cover pages. And from there I attached the two other pages I have finished to the that one.


I simply lined up my two pages and began hand sewing through all the pages at once. (This is why I recommend doll needles. I used a regular long needle and it still wasn't long or strong enough.)

Here is how the book looks if you open it up.


(If you have a grommet machine, you could easily use that to put grommets into your pages and use binder rings to bind it together)

Step 3: Binding It All Together


Coming soon! (I'll update once I finish all my pages!)

Comments