The Lietz Family Christmas Ornament

While I was working on our salt dough ornaments, I ran across this:


And I fell in love with the project. And I knew that it would be the perfect way to start a (hopefully!) new Christmas tradition of family ornaments.

So while I normally post about decor projects on wednesday and this is not really a decor projet. I thought it would be a great way to show off our new family ornament

The Project

Make a Christmas Tree Family Ornament


Results

(All links are affiliated. So if you like or need it please use the links provided. The blog gets a kickback with no charge to you!)

So there are no instructions on how to make a ornament exactly like the Cunninghams, I just made our out of left over salt dough and the Christmas tree cookie cutter I have.

Next I went around and got everybody's thumb prints. (Which was easier said than done. All the boys, even Mike, gave me trouble.) And then I put the hole in the top to hang it. (In hindsight I should have done that in the opposite order, but no harm, no foul right?)

I then baked it like normal (3 hours at 200 degrees). And then painted it using acrylic paint. and then rebaked it for another hour. (Which always seems to dry it out properly). And then I used a yarn needle to sew a ribbon through the hole.


And I used a gold sharpie to create some garland across the tree and to write Lietz 2016 along the bottom.


(I may change that to The Lietzes 2016)

And here it is on our tree. 


And now I can't wait to see how many different ornaments I can make over the years.




Comments