Chalkboard Paint

Update 7/20/16: The instant I posted I knew it just wasn't right. I somehow turned painting on chalkboard paint into a full on project, which it really isn't. Its just a fun decoration idea. So I decided to rewrite it as such!

This week I wanted add another topic to the blog. For a while now I've just been copycat crafting and writing if I thought it was a good idea or not. So I decided to try my hand at decorating ideas from Pinterest. I am in way an interior designer, but I know what I like and I know what Mike likes, and I want to make the effort to decorate our house and I encourage you to try it too.

So to kick off this segment, I thought I would try out chalkboard paint. I've loved the idea of chalkboard paint for a while now. (I mean who doesn't like coloring with chalk?). And when Jessica Simpson posted this picture to her Instagram


(Photo from Jessica Simpson's Instagram)
I knew I wanted to try to recreate something similar in my house (and I still would). I thought the perfect place would be on Blue's closet doors. However once Mike was done reflooring Blue's room, he wasn't able to put down the track for the closet doors; so the closet doors never returned either. So while I knew I wanted to 


The Project:

Use Chalkboard Paint around the house
(I went Folk Art Chalkboard Paint in blue)

Experment 1


For my first venture with chalkboard paint, I wanted to create a little activity table for Blue (and eventually Lion). Somewhere in my Pinterest adventures, I stumbled across a project to improve a cheap IKEA kids table from Cook Like A Champion. I always like to add my own flair to every project and this seemed like the perfect project to try out chalkboard paint. That way I could use the table two ways, one for food and one for playtime.



Blue (and Elmo) really enjoyed that little table. However (like most first round of my projects) I didn't think it all the way through and forgot that Blue is a messy eater. Needless to say while attempting to clean the food mess up with bleach spray, I ended up stripping the paint away as well. Needless to say, that was not the perfect project to try chalkboard paint with.

Not all was lost, though. I like to turn all my failed projects learning experiences. From that experience I learned two very important lessons: location matters and be gentle when cleaning.

Anyway to the point of this story, after the failed table top experiment I still had about a half a container of chalkboard paint left and we had a piece of wood leftover from when we had the baby gate up. So putting two and two together, I realized this would be the perfect location to try chalkboard paint again.

So after painting one layer, letting it dry and painting another letting it dry and then test cleaning it to make sure wouldn't get stripped off, I finally let Blue play with it.



And he really enjoys coloring and making "shapes" all over it.

Conclusion


I couldn't be happier with my little chalkboard divider. Its cute its little and it adds a little something to our house. And as a added bonus, Mike and sometimes use it to write messages. (Its almost become like our version of the magna doodle they had in Friends). So if you are looking to add a little something to your house (or just starting to decorate your house), I suggest adding a little chalkboard paint. 

Comments