Activity Book: M is for Maze

Its Friday! So you know what that means; it's time for another addition to the Activity book! 
I'm sure you know this by now, but I love looking around Pinterest for ideas (I mean I talk about it just about it every post!). And my favorite part is the more I look at activity book pages, the more pop up in my feed. So even when I'm not looking for activity books page inspiration, I still stumble upon a lot of pages that inspire me. And that is exactly how I found this page:



I had never seen anything like it. It was simple and yet seemed like so much fun. And I knew instantly this was a page I had to put into our book. So long story short, this week I decided to go with:

M is for Maze

and this is how I made it my own

The Project

Here's What You Need

Here's How You Make It

Step 1: Make Your Maze

There are a couple of ways to make your maze. You can either make a simple maze like the inspiration page or you can make a more complex maze like the one I made. Either way is fine, my way is a just a little more work.

To make the more complex maze, start by making an 1 inch by 1 inch grid on your felt. Then in a different color marker mark guidelines for where you want your maze to fall. Therefore you can add as many twist and turns as you want.

Here's what mine looked like:


I decided to make more complex maze and then kept a blue area to serve as the finish.

Step 2: 

Once you had your guidelines set, its time to start stitching down your mesh. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can either lay your mesh down and hot glue ribbons over your guidelines (like the picture above) or you can sew down your mesh using yarn.

Either way is fine just make sure you leave a little room in your maze for the buttons to move freely.

Baby Lion helped over saw this page to make sure it was up to his standards

Step 3: Embellishments (Optional Step)

(Normally I save the embellishments for the last step, but for this page its easier to sew it on before you seal everything in.)

For your embellishments on this page simply cut out a letter M and stitch it down. Cut out two smaller patches and backstitch on 'is for' and sew them down. Finally cut out one larger patch (mine was about 2 x 3 inches) to serve as a finish. Backstitch 'Maze' on two your patch and stitch it down in the corner.

For all of this patches make sure the do not disrupt the flow of your maze. In face all of my patches are half sewn to only mesh and the other half sewn to the felt. I know its tedious, but it's worth it.

Step 4: Put It All Together

The final step is to pick out buttons to put into your maze. (I went with a couple buttons that were thicker because they were easier to push around my maze.)

Then carefully sew the mesh around the edges. Trim off any excess mesh you may have.

The Finish Product

This is what my page turned out like.


I had to make a few adjustments on my guidelines after I drew them, but I'm still happy with the finished product. And Blue even tested it out to make sure all the buttons could move easily down the lines.

Comments