Avocado Mayo

Part of this blog is getting myself out of my comfort zone and most of this blog is helping me become a better mother and a better adult. So (begrudgingly) I'm starting a new segment on cooking.

To start my venture into cooking, I thought I would just improve upon one of my favorite summer sandwiches: The Tomato Sandwich!

Never had one? I'm not surprised, but you really should try one. They truly are delicious and easy to make. The New York Times has a recipe here, but I just usually toast some bread, spread a little mayo on each piece, throw on a couple of tomato slices and finish by lightly seasoning with salt and pepper.

I know what you're thinking. If I can already make a tomato sandwich, then where does the cooking come in? Well I try to use as little mayo as possible, I still don't really like using mayo at all. So for my first cooking project, I wanted to find something to replace the mayo with. And somewhere in my many adventures on Pinterest, I know I ran across a recipe for avocado mayo recipe. So I put two and two together and decided that it would make the most sense to replace mayo with avocado mayo. (And hopefully create a tastier and healthier tomato sandwich!)


The Project: 

Make Avocado Mayo
(Recipe found here:Gluten Free Gigi)

The Experiment:

Before we even start going over the recipe I have to have a disclaimer. When I moved in with Mike we had four blenders (1 was mine; 3 were his) and over the years, he got rid of all of them. And I couldn't find the blender stick part of our food processor. So all the blending I did by hand with a whisk.

And I thought we had garlic powder, but we do not. So I omitted that from my product as well.

All right on with the experiment!

So the recipe is really easy to follow. You just throw most of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and then slowly add in your oil. Easy enough. 

 However I for some reason am a bit of a rebel. I already didn't have a blender or garlic powder, and then I didn't really feel like measuring out my salt and pepper. After that I followed the recipe. I threw my ingredients into a mixing bowl and prepared my whisk for battle. Reassuringly enough, the only problem I ran into was trying to mush up some of the more firm parts of the avocado, but that was easily solved by crushing them between a spoon and the side of my bowl.

Once it was as smooth as I could get it, I mixed in my oil one tablespoon at a time. I whisked the three tablespoons in separately and stopped once I was happy with the consistency. (I'm sure if I had whisked more vigorously and longer it may have ended up firmer like mayo)

Anyway here's how my hand whipped avocado mayo turned out.


And here's how my tomato sandwich looks with some avocado mayo:


Conclusion:

I set out for a improve the mayo on my tomato sandwich and  avocado mayo perfectly fits all the needs and more than I could have wanted. I'm still going to play around with recipe so it fills all of my taste bud needs. But I truly think this is a great recipe to start with for anyone to try (with or without the garlic powder or a blender).

Comments