Activity Book: N is for Number

I've self diagnosed myself with project ADD. Bascially midway through any project I get distracted and start working on new project. Its terrible, but I'm trying to work on that. So here I am back again with the latest update to my activity book. And for this page I decided to go with N is for Number. 

At first I was going to make a telephone, but I couldn't quite get my blueprint to make the base of the telephone right. So just when I needed a knew idea this little beauty popped up in my Pinterest feed:

(Photo from Serving Pink Lemonade)

I knew instantly this was the page I was looking for. And below is how I decided to make it for my own book.

Here's What You Need:

  • Felt (whatever colors you like)
  • Needle and Embroidery Thread
  • Sewing Machine and Thread
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Velcro (Either strip or dots)
  • Scissors
  • Marker

Here's How You Do It:

Step 1: Setting Up The Flower

To start this project figure out how big you want your flower center to be and then cut out a circle that size in felt. (I found a coaster that had the perfect size circle for my flower, but you could easily use a compass to create your circle if you have one handy). Stitch down your circle somewhere near the center of your page.

Next create the number pouch by cutting out a 4 x 3 inch rectangle out of felt. (Optional Step: Backstitch the word Number on your pouch), Fold over the top of your rectangle about 1/2 inch and sew down. (I used a blanket stitch so it would look like a bag). Place your rectangle on the bottom right corner of your page (Or wherever you want to place it) and then sew down your two short sides and the long bottom side. This should create a little pouch.

Your page will look something like this:


Step 2: Petals

To create my petals trace your circle object onto a sheet of paper and then divided the circle into eighths. Find a petal shape you like (I went with a semiheart shape). You can either keep that size and have 8 petals around your flower or you can shrink your petal a little to create a nine or ten petal flower. (I went with a nine petal flower myself). Once you are satisfied with the shape and size of you petals use that as a pattern to cut out petals out of felt.To finished your petals either cut out felt numbers and stitch them on (or I back stitched on numbers). Either leave the edges as is or use a blanket stitch to edge them.

Here are how my petals turned out:


Once your petals are finished, line them up around your flower center and trace around them, so you know where they should go back to. Next trim down your Velcro strip into nine rectangles. First hot glued the fuzzy side to the petals and then hot glued the stiff side to the page. (I highly recommend going back over with a sewing machine to reinforce your Velcro.)

Step 3: Finishing Touches

Finish up your page, by cutting out a letter N and then back stitch on 'is for'. It should look something like this:




And Here's My Finished Product:


(I still need to reinforce my Velcro but it seems to work pretty well so far)

Comments