DIY Soap Pouch

I've been using bar soap for a while now. (I just find that its cheaper than body wash and it seems to last a lot longer too). I've been quite content using the bar soap with a loofah. It suds it up well and really I had no complaints other than they don't seem to stay together for that long. But even that didn't detour me from using it.

However the last time Mike cleaned out our shower, he knocked down my loofah while cleaning. And knowing all the chemicals (mainly bleach) he used to clean our shower, I just couldn't bring myself to use it again. After that I just never got around to buying another loufa and switched over to a washcloth. Which is fine, but I haven't used one in so long that I found it really hard to stay lathered.

And then I remembered that along my many adventures on Pinterest, I stumbled upon a towel soap pouch. I quickly found the soap pouch again and realized with my beginner sewing skills that I could handle it.

So for this week's project I decided to test out a soap pouch.

The Project:

(The idea for this project come from WhiMSy Love)

Here's What You Need:

Here's How You Do It:

Step 1:

Measure out 11.5 x 4 inch rectangles in your washcloth

(My washcloth measured 12 x 12 inch so I just divided it into three equal parts)


Cut out your three pieces.

Step 2:

Fold up your short side edges 1/2 inch, sew down, then fold up another 1/2 and sew down.
Make sure to do this on both short side edges


(Hopefully you're better at sewing than I am and your edges are a little more even... okay a lot more even)

Step 3:

Fold up on of your short side egdes about 3 1/ inch. Fold the other short side down so that your now top edge folds just over your bottom edge. Your pouch measure about 4 1/2 inches. Sew down both long sides.


Step 4:

Turn right side out, stuff it with some bar soap

And Enjoy it!

(My pouch fits in perfectly in my bathroom)


Experiments and Results

Is it easy to make?

I never hide the fact that I'm still learning how to use my sewing machine. But this is so easy to make, that you really don't need a whole lot of sewing skills. The only issue I had was that when I was sewing down the long sides of the pocket, I had my edges layered on top of each other and ended up breaking a couple of needles. (I guess that's all part of the learning experience!)

Does It Work?

Yes. I like enjoy using it in the shower much more than I ever enjoyed using a washcloth. The only issue I have is that it takes a little bit of rubbing to get it lathered up and some times the bubbles don't seem to last that long, but that might just be the soap I'm using.

It however does not work so well for the soap on my bath room sink. I'm going to experiment with that one to see if I can use the pouch on my hand. This way I can still have my bar soap available to wash my hands, but then I can easily use it to wash my hands as well.

Results

It is worth making?

Absolutely! I've been using my soap pouch for a couple of weeks now and I really couldn't be happier with it. I couldn't imagine going back to a loofa.

The best part it is that from the one washcloth I was able to make three soup pouches. That made one for me, one for Mike and a spare one (though I'm not sure if Mike is actually using his or not). 

So if you're ready to ditch the loofah, this is the project for you!

(And if you like the idea, but don't want to make it yourself, I've now opened an Etsy store. So I will make it for you here: Lietz and Co.)

Comments