The Easiest Crock Pot Taco Chicken

After a November and December filled with cooking and baking, I really was at a loss of what to cook for January. I honestly thought I start the year off with a pot roast, but then got too busy and forgot to buy the supplies. (I really am a mess sometimes!). So I decided to just move. But move on to what?

So I did what I always do: start looking on Pinterest for ideas. I was pretty sure I wanted to make something in my crock pot and knew I wanted it to be fairly easy. (I really want to ease myself back into cooking.) And I was actually shock at not only the number of recipes there were, but also the different types of recipes. They ranged from tex mex to chili to well... pot roasts. It definitely was a little overwhelming. (And I may have pretended like it didn't exist for a little while). 

In the end I settled on a taco chicken recipe, that was easy enough to make (and similar to a couple of things I've already cooked) and was something that hopefully by the end of the year I could get back to and make it all from scratch. (Well just the salsa part, the rest is pretty much from scratch)

The Recipe


Recipe From Kristine's Kitchen


Results

I love this recipe because there really is nothing to it. The only I modified was using two chicken breasts instead of four and I didn't measure out my taco seasoning. Instead I just sprinkled some over the chicken. I did use a full cup of salsa. (I tried using half and it just didn't cover the chicken all the way, so I just used another half to be safe).

And then I let it cook for 4 hours


(And the chalkboard paint makeover I gave my crock pot really came in handy. I was able to label what was cooking and what time it was done.)

Here's how it looked once I shredded the chicken:


Its a little soupy with all the salsa I used, but I think it works better that way. I also just used two forks to shred my chicken in the crock pot. This way all the salsa and chicken would stay together.

Overall the chicken made a great base for tacos!


I just added a little avocado and cheese to round the entire thing out. And I made Lion his own little taco bowl (since he still too little for a taco).


Blue is still being a picky three year old. So he just had a tortilla and cheese.

Next time I'm going to try the mix with some rice and beans!

Comments