Braided Infinity Scarf

All right, I'll admit it, over the past month I've got really into crochet. There's just something about it that I've found really calming and therapeutic. (Which is great considering how chaotic the past month has been and how chaotic the next month is shaping up to be!). 

And since its now January (and winter should be in full swing!), I decided it was time I tried making a scarf. My original idea was to make a Buckeye helmet stripe so my mom and I would have a matching set for the national championship game.




And well I was about halfway through when they lost to Clemson! So I in a fit of total despair I pulled it all apart (and in all fairness, it wasn't quite working out the way I thought it would)

So I went back to the drawing board and decided that maybe for this winter instead of making a buckeye scarf maybe I would instead make a New England Patriots colored scarf. (And while I was searching for a buckeye infinity scarf to make, I actually stumbled upon an braided infinity scarf I really want to make, but couldn't get the helmet stripe to work out right for it. But I knew it would be perfect for a Patriots colored scarf, so I just switched my order of things around a little bit)


The Project


Make a Braided Infinity Scarf


Instructions from The Snugglery



Results

For my scarf I decided to use Lion Brand Yarn Hometown USA Yarn (In Navy Blue, Grey, White and Red... to show my support for the Patriots of course).  I used a 7mm crochet hook to make it (since that was the biggest I had).

So since my hook was smaller than the recommended size my gauge didn't match up and I had to make my chain 400 stitches long. And then from there I just half double crocheted four lines. One in each of my four colors mentioned above. (Even though the pattern only calls for three)

This how my big long snake of scarf turned out when I was done crocheting:



Yes even nearly folded in half it stretched out far!

Next was the fun part of "braiding it". (And when I was reading the pattern I often wondered if it would be easier to just crochet three strands and braid them together. In fact I still wonder!)

The pattern says to fold one side to make a loop about halfway up the other. I tried this and quickly ran out of my weaving string (In hind sight my loops might have been way too big). So I, instead made my loop at about 1/4 to 1/3 down the other side.

Once I had it all braided, it was time to connect the ends! I did this by sandwiching the two curved edges between the two loose ends. And then I just single crocheted them all together.

The part that shows the single crochets ended up being the inside of my scarf


And on the outside you just see a line of white yarn stripes!


I try to keep that part on the back of my neck, so that you can't see it.


Here's how my scarf turned out:


And its also perfect for snuggling with babies!


As you can see my braid was a little too loose and it started to fall out. So I'm probably going to tighten it up sometime soon. Other than that I love it and I wish it was cold enough for me to wear it all the time!

Comments