Pokemon Felties

You know why Mom's are so great, right? Because they can always find the one gift you need, that you never knew you needed. Case in point, this past Christmas, I just asked my mom for money. I had a bunch of miscellaneous things I wanted (and really I'm so indecisive that even I wasn't sure what I really wanted until after Christmas). So my mom happily got me a gift card... but she also got me this:



That's right a whole book committed to Pokemon Felties. And I'll admit it, at first I thought it was a little silly. I did like Pokemon in my youth and I do plan on taking Lion to make a Charmander once I get my tax money back. But it didn't mean that I wanted to make little felt Pokemon.

And then I started reading the instructions (which if you've read any of my blog posts to this point, you would know I'm really bad at) and I realized that this was actually a solid manual for working with felt in general. And so I knew I had myself a new mini project

The Project

Make Felt Pokemon

Instructions from Pokemon Felties Book 


Results

So the book comes with enough felt to make Pikachu. So I guess that's where I'll begin, with Pikachu.

The first step as always is to assess the haul.


Yup definitely everything (and more!) to make a proper pikachu. First step is to iron out the yellow felt and then I traced the main body pattern pieces onto the yellow felt. And because I don't like reading instructions I traced out the tail and then glued the pieces together.

And while that was drying I started work on the front of my pikachu.


I tried tracing out the feet and hands, like the book wanted, but I found that my pikachu just looked silly and wrong. So I decided to instead put on his cheeks and eyes on first before and then I back stitched on the rest.

And while I was doing that, I was also working on the tail and back piece. So by the morning the back piece with the tail was glued together and I was ready to sew it together. And I stuffed it. I couldn't figure out how to get any stuffing in the ears. So I think I'm going to cut some stitches and put a pipe cleaner in instead.

Anyway the kids love him. (And I'm more shocked than anything that Blue actually knows how he is!)


And here's a closer look at my own personal Pikachu:


And no I can't wait to work on the rest! (Well the other three from the first 151, the others I guess I'll make just for the boys!)

Comments