Mother's Day Blanket

This year I've decided to make my own Mother's Day present. I figured it would save me from the disappoint of my love not having the boys do anything for me and the fight it might have caused.  So I decided that as a mother of two small children there was nothing I wanted more than my very own mom blanket.
I orginally found the idea for the project at Joann.com (Monogram Blanket Project), but I decided that instead of just using a monogram that I wanted to have Mom written on it. That way incase I wanted to repeat this project for the rest of my family I could put their names on their respetive blankets and they're could be no confusion whose blanket was whose.

Here's What You Need


  • 2-3 yards Fleece
  • 1/2 yard Flannel
  • 1/2 yard Pellon 805 Wonder Under
  • Iron and Ironing Board
  • Sewing Machine
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery Thread and Needles

Here's How You Do It:

1. Trim your fleece down to size and hem the sides

I left my blanket at three yards long and just hemmed around the sides. I just figured it was my mom blanket so I needed plenty of room under it to keep me warm along with my boys.
Anyway here's a nifty little chart so you know how much to trim off of your own blanket


2. Put the Letters On the Blanket

Using a computer printout Mom in whatever font and size you like. (I went with the Alice font from Google Drive). 
Trace the reverse side of the letters onto the paper side of your interface material. Iron the interface onto the flannel and then cut out your letters. Align them on your blanket and then iron into place

3. Embellish The Blanket

Either blanket stitch or zig zag stitch around the letters You can also blanket stitch around the blanket as well if you would like (or if you have the patience to do it). 

Here's It In Action:



Such as easy project! And something I'm sure any mother would love to get!



Here's Blue enjoying his afternoon snack with it. Clearly more blankets will be needed


And it's the perfect size for cuddling both my boys with

Comments