DIY Father's Day Apron

This year is a very special Father's Day for us in the Lietz household as it is also Blue's birthday. So for Father's Day I knew I had to find a project that I could make not only for Mike but also that would work for Blue as well.

Mike is the chef in our family and Blue's getting to that age where he wants to help us with everything. So I thought the perfect gift for the two of them would to make them some aprons.

And really its a good gift to give your own cook at home and not just a good Father's Day idea.


Here's What You Need:

Here's How You Do It:

(If you would like to make your apron here's a great tutorial on Some of This and That.)

1. Paint Your Apron

Before you start, make sure you wash and try your aprons.

Lay your apron out on a table. Place a piece of cardboard under you apron to prevent bleeding all over your table.

Place a small dab of paint either into a pallet or onto a plate. Let your kid paint either with his fingers or with foam brushes.


As you can see, I let Blue paint whatever he wanted. But you could also help your kid paint a pattern if you wanted. Or just do hand prints all over it.

Let dry.

2. Place Letters on Aprons

Measure out the area on your apron you want the letters to be placed in. Cut your flannel (or spare fabric) and Pellon to that size. For my kid's apron I measured out a 6 x 6 inch area and my adult apron I measure out a 8.5 x 11 inch area.

Iron on the Pellon to the wrong side of your fabric.

Figure out what you want your aprons to say. (I went with Best Helper ever for my kids apron and Best Dad Ever for my adult apron.) 

Create letter patterns for your apron either using a word program or free hand them. I prefer Google Slides (or Microsoft Powerpoint) Word Art function to make mine. Trace your letters backwards onto the paper backing side of your fabric. Cut out your letters and then arrange them on your apron. When satisified iron them into place. 

3. Finishing Touches

Either use a needle and embroidery thread and blanket stitch around your letters or use a sewing machine zig zag stitch to secure the letters down. (And add a decorative touch to the aprons!)

Finally spray your aprons with Scotchguard to help prevent stains.

Here's How They Look In Action:

Here's how they turned out:

And I can't wait for them both to wear them!

(After Father's Day I'll add a picture of my boys wearing them together!)

Comments