Desk Organization Part 1: Taming the Wires


Do not be alarmed at the following picture. This is unfortunately how unorganized my desk looked at the beginning of the year.




It's terrible... I know. But this is exactly why my yearly goal is to get our house organized.

So over the past week I have done nothing more than search for Craft Room organization ideas on Pinterest. And the only thing I really learned is that people have really elaborate craft rooms with really immaculate organization schemes. Unfortunately my craft area is just my (very messy) desk for now. And even that area I need to serve three different functions. It needs to work as my family command center, my craft storage area and eventually as a work area.

So while I'm still on the hunt for creative storage solutions for my desk, I did find a life hack to improve the wires hanging behind my desk (and, as you can see below, to keep them some what out of Blu's reach).


Here's everything you'll need to get this project done (Blue not included):

Organized Living Simple Basket - White- $8.00
OOK 50683 1-1/4-Inch Vinyl Mug Hooks Tidy Tins, White, 15-Piece 15 pcs- $5.09
Surge Protector- $17.99  (It's a little expensive, but totally worth it!)
1 Permanent Marker
1 Drill (or a hammer and nail with a similar width of the hook or a screwdriver and screw with a similar width of the hook)


Here's How To Do It:

  1. It's actually really easy to do too. All you have to is figure out where you want the basket to hang under your desk, making sure that the short side is about an inch off from the wall. 
  2. Then using the marker to mark where you would like to drill holes for the hooks; drill holes and then screw the hooks into place. (I ended up with five hooks holding my basket under my desk, but you could easily go with four or even just two should be fine).
  3. Hang the basket and then mark on the wall where to drill. Drill the holes and screw in the hooks. (For this side I only put 1 hook in each the corners so I would have plenty of room to maneuver wires around)
  4. Then you just simply place the surge protector in the basket (and you may have to break on of the wires to get the plug through), plug in what you want and then hang the basket up.


Comments